Cuisine: Chinese, Indonesian, Modern Asian and Thai
Location: Midland, Midland Gate Shopping Centre (also another location in Morley)
We had seen this restaurant advertised in our local restaurant and decided to check it out. They have two locations – one in Midland which is where we went and the other in Morley. Upon first walking in, the interior is very polished without being pretentious. Certainly for an Asian restaurant, it was very inviting and presentable. We were taken to our seats and opted for yum cha over the al a carte. While there is plenty of capacity for diners, the restaurant wasn’t particularly busy and unlike other yum cha establishments in Northbridge that only serve yum cha for lunch, Chatters offered the choice between the two. As a result, one of the waitstaff wheeled over the trolley while we selected some dishes. We were told another person would come every 10 minutes with different dishes. I was expecting a steady stream of trolleys with different dishes but as the restaurant was not packed and not everyone was ordering yum cha, this is the approach they adopted.
These are some of the dishes we had:
- BBQ Pork Buns – filling was lovely but the bun was very doughy. While the bun wasn’t bad it was the worst BBQ pork bun I’ve had
- Steamed Prawn Dumplings – very nice but the prawn filling was very firm and didn’t softly melt in the mouth while the glutinous skin was quite firm and not soft
- Prawn Wantons – crunchy wanton with a nice filling
- Satay Chicken Rolls – no flavour of Satay and roll was rather gluey
- Crab Claws – very good
- Prawn Dim Sim – very good
- Chicken Feet – average, weak black bean sauce and little flavour in the dish
- Chicken encased in sticky rice – little if any chicken and lacked flavour
Food Review Summary
Verdict: You don’t know if you don’t try and there is huge gulf between Chatters and the typical dim sim places in Northbridge. For example, Dragon Palace leaves this place for dead in terms of price, flavour, taste, while the servings and fillings are generous. While the service was friendly we were full but left feeling very disappointed. Not sure what the al a carte is like.
Recommendation: Try Once If You Want But Not Worth Visiting Again
Like This Blog & Want A Second Helping?
Feel free to subscribe via RSS or be updated via email each time a new post comes out on PerthFoodReviews.com. Alternatively, bookmark this site on your favourite social media site below. Remember, when it comes to food, it’s all about the taste.Chatters Cafe & Restaurant,