Cuisine: Bakery, Patisserie, Cafe
Location: Mt Lawley, Beaufort Street (other locations available)
After my visit to the burger joint The Angry Moose and learning that their buns are sourced from the local bakery Lawley’s, a search around their website showed they aren’t just a bakery but serve cakes and pastries. I’m there! I love a patisserie and cakes and pastries are a favourite of mine. The bakery is just further up the road from The Angry Moose so after a quick bus trip from the city after work, I walked in to the large open space. The place isn’t just a bakery but a cafe serving breakfast, coffee, sandwiches, rolls, wraps, and also do high tea.
I made my way to the back of the store where I was greeted by the friendly staff. I drooled over the display cabinet wondering what should I get. In the end I decided to get a selection of various items:
Pic #1: clockwise from top
- Chocolate Eclair – the eclair is light and tasty with a slight hint of sweetness. Most of the sweetness comes from the chocolate on top with the fresh cream providing a lightness to this classic pastry.
- Raspberry Tart – moist soft raspberries immersed in a light custard encased by delicious pastry
- Petite Fours – another berry type pastry in an almond meal mixture, good
- Chocolate Tart – on appearance, you expect a dark chocolate flavour but it is the exact opposite, melt in your mouth chocolate heaven. This tart is an absolute standout with plain chocolate as opposed to dark providing the most delicious chocolatey flavour.
- Custard Filled Pastry – lovely light creamy custard pastry, however, I prefer Corica Pastries version of their custard. Still delicious.
- Blueberry Frangipan Tart – this one was a little dry with the frangipan mixture and I enjoyed this pastry the least
- Coffee Eclair – just as delicious as the chocolate eclair, the coffee cream mixture could have done with a stronger hint of coffee flavour. Only one version of the coffee eclair have I eaten has had a sufficient coffee flavour without it being too strong.
Pic #2: clockwise from top
- Lemon & Lime Brulee – not sure why the brulee name as it doesn’t have that crunchy caramel like a creme brulee but the citrus flavour of lemon and lime are a wonderful addition to the creamy filled mixture
- Mixed Berry Tart – moist and lovely
- Pumpkin and Spinach Quiche – thought I’d go for something different over the standard quiche Lorraine and there isn’t really any hint of pumpkin but the quiche is delicious nonetheless. Perfect balance of flavours and not too cheesy or rich.
Aside from the cakes and pastries, there are savoury items as well which is why I also chose a slice of quiche from the few varieties on offer. Apart from quiche, pies, mini quiches, and sausage rolls round out the savouries on offer. There’s plenty of breads, bagels, along with their cakes which they also provide for special occasions and they also have a croquembouche. There are several locations around Perth so check out their website for the goodies on offer.
Lawley’s Bakery Cafe Food Review Summary
Verdict: Lawley’s is a bakery and not a patisserie. Despite that, they still offer up delicious pastries. I wouldn’t rate the pastry itself as good as Choux Cafe or Scents of Taste but the fillings and flavours of each pastry work well. I really loved the chocolate tart which is easily the best I’ve eaten. You expect a strong dark chocolate flavour but it has a milk chocolate flavour instead and it melts in your mouth like chocolate heaven! The raspberry tart and the eclairs were also very enjoyable. I also like the pumpkin and spinach quiche which had a perfect balance of flavours. From all the patisserie like establishments I’ve visited, Lawleys are also the cheapest with a bill under $29 whereas I’d normally pay ~$35.
Lawley’s Bakery Cafe Restaurant Details
Like This Food Blog & Want A Second Helping?
Feel free to subscribe via RSS or be updated via email each time a new post comes out on PerthFoodReviews.com. Alternatively, bookmark this foodie site on your favourite social media site below. Remember, when it comes to food, it’s all about the taste.Lawley's Bakery Cafe - Mt Lawley - 19 Dec 2012,