Perth is in for a sweet treat!
Ben & Jerry’s opens its first Scoop Shop in W.A
MEDIA RELEASE, 20 August 2015: Hold onto your spoons ice cream fans, we’ve got some udderly delicious news! Those signature chunks and swirls loved by people all over the world are about to hit Hillarys Boat Harbour.
With 22 flavours to choose from, Ben & Jerry’s, Sorrento Quay Boardwalk on Hillarys Boat Harbour in Perth marks the first Scoop Shop in Western Australia.
Where: Ben & Jerry’s Scoop Shop, Sorrento Quay Boardwalk on Hillarys Boat Harbour, 30 Southside Drive, Hillarys, Western Australia
Kalli Swaik, Ben & Jerry’s Brand Champion, says: “Ben and Jerry’s is legendairy for spreading peace, love and ice cream across the nation through their delicious range of irreverent and uniquely named flavours. Since their eagerly anticipated Australian launch in 2009, Ben & Jerry’s has been expanding nationally with Western Australia the latest state to boast its own scoop shop”.
Ben & Jerry’s aims to make the best possible ice cream, in the best possible way. Using business as a tool for social and environmental change is just as important as sourcing the finest ingredients to make ice cream. The range is based on the original recipes of ethical ice cream gurus and company founders, Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield. Armed with a $5 correspondence course in ice cream making, the longstanding friends opened their very first Scoop Shop in an old gas station in Burlington, Vermont back in ‘78.
Whilst they occasionally disagreed on the size of the chunks going into the ice cream, one thing they did agree on was having fun. As Jerry put it, “ If it’s not fun, why do it?”
So, if you’re a Maple Tree Hugger or if Phish Food rocks your boat delve into www.benandjerry.com.au to find out how these moovellous flavours came about.
Become a fan: Facebook.com/BenandJerryAustralia
The Ben & Jerry’s story:
Back in 1966, in a school gym class, Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield found they hated running but loved food. Years later in 1978, armed with a $5 correspondence course in ice cream making, they opened their first scoop shop in a dilapidated gas station in Burlington, Vermont.
The duo soon became popular in the local community for the finest all natural ice cream. Ben had no sense of taste so he relied on what he called ‘mouth feel’, so big chunks of chocolate, fruit and nut became their signature. While they disagreed at times over the chunk size, they did agree that they wanted to enjoy themselves – as Jerry put it ‘If it’s not fun, why do it?
In the early days the boys were pretty bad at bookkeeping. After two months they closed the store and hung a sign that said ‘we’re closed to figure out whether we’re making any money’. And they weren’t. But they learned a lot and by 1979, began wholesaling pints of ice cream out of Ben’s VW campervan. The rest, as they say, is history.
Ben & Jerry’s values:
Ben & Jerry’s aims to make the best possible ice cream, in the nicest possible way. Using business as a tool for social and environmental change is just as important as sourcing the finest ingredients to make ice cream. So wherever possible, Ben & Jerry’s sources ingredients from producers and suppliers who share similar values, such as only using cage free eggs to produce all our delicious flavours in Australia.
1. Berry Berry Extraordinary: Swirls of Blueberry Fruit Sorbet & Raspberry Fruit Sorbet
2. Cherry Garcia: Cherry Ice Cream with Cherries and Dark Chocolatey Chunks
3. Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough: Vanilla Ice Cream with Chunks of Chocolate Chip CookieDough
4. Chocolate Fudge Brownie: Chocolate Ice Cream with Fudge Brownies
5. Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirl: Milk Chocolate Ice Cream with a Thick Peanut Butter Swirl
6. Chocolate Therapy: Chocolate Ice Cream with Chocolate Cookies & Swirls of Chocolate Pudding Ice Cream
7. Chunky Monkey: Banana Ice Cream with Fudge Chunks and Walnuts
8. Clusterfluff: Peanut butter ice cream, with caramel cluster pieces, swirls of marshmallow and whirls of peanut butter
9. Coconut Seven Layer Bar: Coconut ice cream with coconut and fudge flakes, walnuts and swirls of graham cracker and butterscotch
10. Coffee Coffee BuzzBuzzBuzz: Coffee Ice Cream with Espresso Bean Chocolatey Chunks
11. Lemonade Stand Sorbet: Light and Zesty Lemon Sorbet
12. Maple Tree Hugger: Maple syrup ice cream, brown sugar brownie chunks and a maple caramel swirl
13. Mint Chocolate Chunk: Mint Ice Cream with Chocolatey Chunks
14. New York Super Fudge Chunk: Chocolate Ice Cream with White & Dark Fudge Chunks, Pecans, Walnuts & Fudge Covered Almonds
15. Phish Food: Chocolate Ice Cream with Gooey Marshmallow, Caramel Swirls & Chocolatey Fish
16. Strawberry Cheesecake: Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream with Strawberries & Thick Cookie Swirl
17. Strawberry: Strawberry Ice cream
18. Sweet Cream & Cookies: Sweet Cream Ice Cream with Whole & Broken Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
19. Triple Caramel Chunk: Caramel Ice Cream with a Swirl of Caramel & Chocolatey Covered Caramel Chunks
20. Vanilla: Smooth Vanilla Ice Cream
21. Couch Potato: Vanilla Ice Cream with a Salty Caramel Swirl and Chocolatey Covered Potato Chip Clusters
22. Scotchy Scotch Scotch: Butterscotch Ice Cream with Butterscotch Swirls
A selection of flavours is also available in 458ml pint tubs (RRP $11.95) and 100ml shorties (RRP $3.95) in select delis. Just go to www.benandjerry.com.au to find where your nearest Ben & Jerry’s stockist is.
Ben & Jerry’s Scoop Shop Franchises Available:
Did you know you can own your own piece of Ben & Jerry’s?
Since the very early days in Vermont, USA, Ben & Jerry’s has offered franchises to people who share our passion for peace, love and ice cream. Our franchise partners are like family, and here in Australia we are looking for a select number of “family” to join us.
All the information you need is at www.benandjerry.com.au